Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Warning! Danger!

                My update comes a little early this week since tomorrow morning I will be going under for the removal of my wisdom teeth! The dreaded day is fast approaching. So while I still have common sense and am able to articulate an idea I will write my blog. I have been getting ready for my trip which is also quickly approaching. I have a few dozen forms which need to be filled out and sent in and cheques which need to be written. I have things that need to be bought and many more things which need to be done! It’s going to be an interesting few weeks while I prepare. Before we leave we have to do a chart which analyzes the risks and makes us think about what we will do if we are faced by those risks. I found it pretty interesting so I’ll post what I found below:

Personal Safety Risk Assessment

What is the Risk?
How likely am I to encounter this risk – not likely, likely, very likely? Why?
How severe is this risk? Rank it – low, moderate, or high. Give your reasons.
What will I do to manage this risk?
Crime – Armed robberies have increased and can happen during daylight and in public areas. Highway travel is dangerous at night time. Petty crime, including pickpocketing, purse and jewellery snatching and theft form vehicles is common.
Very likely – pickpocketing will be highly likely in busy areas.
Moderate – petty crime is more likely than armed robbery
I will not venture out alone after dark in dimly lit or unlit back streets. I will travel in groups to make me be less of a target. While travelling in a vehicle I will ensure that the doors remain locked. If there is an emergency I will call the emergency number – 999.
Drugged food or drinks offered from strangers, it may be drugged
Unknown – there is nothing stated about the likelihood of this occurring
High – unknown if there will be anything that happens if the food is drugged
I will not accept food or drinks from strangers.
Marburg Haemorrhagic Fever
Not likely – I am not planning to go into caves during my visit to Uganda
High – a Dutch tourist died of Marburg haemorrhagic fever in June of 2008.
There is no commercially available vaccine or medication to prevent infection.
I will avoid going into caves where bats may be present
Photography
Photography of security forces, diplomatic sites (including Owen Falls Dam at the source of the Nile near Jinja), government installations or airports, is prohibited. This could result in a jail sentence.
Not likely – I will not take pictures of people in military-style or camouflage clothing
Moderate -  This action may result in a jail sentence
I will not take picture of military-style or camouflage clothing.
Pedestrians/ Vehicles
Likely – I will be walking quite frequently around Kampala.

I will also be using services such as the boda-bouda.
High – there is a high likelihood of being in a traffic accident. There is a high amount of accidents which occur every year.
The intercity bus (including overnight long distance buses) should be avoided due to reckless driving, excessive speed and poor vehicle maintenance.
I will be cautious when walking and while crossing roads.
I will ensure that the vehicle is in good condition before departure and ensure to wear a helmet at all times.

Political Risk Assessment

What is the Risk?
How likely am I to encounter this risk – not likely, likely, very likely? Why?
How severe is this risk? Rank it – low, moderate, or high. Give your reasons.
What will I do to manage this risk?
Riots, political unrest; most recent at the Kasubi tombs on March 16, 2010
Likely – I may see protests occurring. The Kasubi tombs are located in Kampala, which is the same city that I will be living in.
High – a UNESCO world heritage site was burned down and there were casualties
I will monitor the situation; avoid large crowds and any demonstrations.
Violent incidents in Murchison falls National Park, Mgahinga National Park, Kidepo Park, or Semuliki National Park
Not likely – because I will follow all guidelines and proceed with caution if I choose to go to any of those areas. I am not located in those areas so I am able to avoid them if necessary.
High – there have been violent incidents
I will monitor the situation, and if I travel to Kidepo National Park I will proceed to do that by air.
Political unrest on the borders of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the northern border of Uganda – Sudan
Very likely if I am in those areas.
High – the Lord’s Resistance Army is located in Northern Uganda and is a terrorist group. The Lord’s Resistance Army continues to be a serious threat in the following districts despite a ceasefire signed in 2006: Adjumani, Gulu, Kitgum, Pader, Lira, and Apac districts.
I will avoid the high risk areas and will not travel into northern Uganda. If travelling in northern Uganda it is advised to use extreme caution and follow the advice of local authorities.

Environmental Risk Assessment

What is the Risk?
How likely am I to encounter this risk – not likely, likely, very likely? Why?
How severe is this risk? Rank it – low, moderate, or high. Give your reasons.
What will I do to manage this risk?
Heavy Rains and Flooding
Not likely – The first month that I move to Uganda will be during a high rain season; the next two months will  not be during the rainy season
Potentially high risk – during the rainy season the flooding and mud slides can cause evacuations, casualties and damage to infrastructure
I will watch the weather report and ensure that I do not go out during a day when mud slides are at a high likelihood of occurring.
I will stay out of high risk zones where the flooding occurs.

Those are some mighty big risks! I know this much, I have to be careful when I am in Uganda, it won’t be like Toronto. I have taken a special note for what to watch when I am in Kampala and where there is a danger zone. Besides the riots and the petty crime Kampala doesn’t seem to be such a scary place. The more I hear about the city the more I feel like moving there will be an adventure. I do not believe that I will be experiencing any heavy rains or flooding in the country since I will be coming at the end of the rainy season and at the beginning of the dry season. I know that there are risks associated with travelling to Kampala but I am trying my best to minimize those risks (the 5 shots in my left arm will agree with me on that point). Hopefully all of this reading, being a pin cushion and preparing is going to help me when I am in Africa to make sure that I don’t get into too much trouble!
                I cannot wait to arrive in Kampala and to find out what it is, exactly, that I will be doing there or even where I will be living. I saw some of the other girl’s placement homes and they look amazing, defiantly not what I thought (or others for that matter!). They are not the “tiki huts” that everyone has been picturing, some are nicer than my house that I’m currently living in! With all of this said, I’m still not sure where I will be living or what my living conditions are going to be like. I don’t have a problem with things like squat toilets but it would be nice to know ahead of time just to prepare myself! I wish I had the luxury of information that a lot of my classmates know. I don’t even know what field I will be working in this summer! Everyone knows at least that they will be doing things like working with sustainability, teaching how to sew, promoting local artists, or working with HIV infected people. I wish I had that luxury of information. I guess that I will have to be very adaptable! Until I know what I’m doing I can promise this: I will continue to be very nervous (more so than getting my teeth out!). Well I am sorry this is such a short post (minus the huge table of course)! I need to go prepare for the unexpected.
Jacquelyn

1 comment:

  1. I got my wisdom teeth out when I was 15, and boy was it uncomfortable! i hope everything went alright, and take advantage of the popsicle treats!
    Jacquelyn, we are in for the summer of our lives! Don't be nervous, you'll be great!

    ReplyDelete