Friday, March 19, 2010

Update

                So an update on my life as I prepare for getting ready to leave, every week I have a new needle that I have to get. Did I ever mention that at the beginning of the year I was afraid of needles? I don’t mean like I get a little scared, I mean like I would start shaking head to foot and have a small panic attack at the thought of a needle. Slowly and surely I have been facing this fear, or been forced to face this fear rather, and have been getting all needles that I need for this trip and then a few that I thought would be important to get. One thing that this program never really advertises: costs. Yes they tell you about the $1400 that you have to pay and then $2000 that you have to raise. Here is what they don’t tell you, you need to pay a lot more for things you need when you go over there. Yes you would think that I would have thought that I would be going over with supplies but until the costs hit you it never really enters into your consciousness. Here’s a small list of things you need to get: shots (most are covered but if you don’t have separate insurance other than school insurance, you are not really covered too well), rehydration salts, water purification tablets, protein bars to bring over (in case you get lost and hungry), clothes which are appropriate for wearing over in your placement, mosquito nets, DEET, hygienic things for when you are over there (soap, etc), medications that you may need (tums, immodium, advil, etc), etc. The list goes on and on and it is one that makes your head spin around in circles. What is the bright side of all of this? Air Miles. I am going to get a lot of those this year.
                Beyond Borders has taught me a lot so far this year. I have learned how to organize better than I have ever done before. Every week my agenda is packed with a million things to do and somehow they all get done. Time management has become a speciality for me to be able to do. I can balance homework, planning a fundraiser event, volunteering, writing essays, doctor appointments, sleep, social events (to help keep me sane) and the random unexpected thing that comes out of left field. I have also learned how to work in a team for a long period of time and how to get things done effectively in group dynamics. I have also started to look at things a little differently. My entire university career has been teaching me how to look at the world differently and this course offers nothing less than what I have been enjoying for three years. Peace and Conflict Studies is an amazing program that really makes you look twice at everything, to the point where you will refuse to eat a banana because it is not fair trade. My family has already noticed the difference. One person in my family asked if I could go back to normal. I just thought, what is normal? In my program we learn a great deal about wars, the global south, alternative dispute resolution, etc. This program has opened my eyes more than I could have ever thought possible.
I am excited about the idea of going away this summer. Right now, however, I am so busy that I don’t really have time to be excited right now. I’m still a little nervous. I don’t know much about my placement. I know that it is in Kampala, Uganda. It is called the Kamowkya Christian Caring Community. I know that they work with health, education, micro financing and advocacy. That is all I know. I am not hiding anything else from you. You now know as much as I do. I do not know what I am going to be doing, or who I am staying with, or how many people live in the family. I don’t know anything. It is making me incredibly nervous. I am going to a strange country and I hardly know anything. This little information is unsettling. I am very uncomfortable not knowing anything. I evidently will not know anything until I go to my country regarding all of the previous questions. This makes me very, very, very nervous. I will have to learn one more thing form Beyond Borders: how to let it go with the flow.
An update on the fundraising events before I sign off this blog entry! The band night went very well! The bands which came include: Junca (Junka?), IVS and Stone Fox. They were all amazing bands and we were excited to see everyone out at the band night! The event raised quite a bit of money for our group. A special thank-you to David Perrin for his continuous support that we have received throughout the year! Our next event is a yard sale which is going to take place on Sunday. We are collecting donations and will hold the sale on Sunday March 21st from 8:30 – 2:00! There will also be a pancake breakfast for all of those who are hungry! Please come out and support us!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jacquelyn, I know that some of your remarks are tongue in cheek, but just for the record, I have to clarify a few items related to costs :) -> the brochure and website warn applicants that shots and normal living costs are not included (apart from room and board) Look here: http://www.sju.ca/courses/beyond_borders/apply.html. Other things I have told you about such as rehydration salts, personal medications, personal hygiene items,are not required at all. In fact, you may never need some of these things (I strongly recommend at least the soap!) but it seems smart to advise you that you may need them and can probably get them cheaper and more easily here. You will be supplied with a mosquito net and clean water but I recommend the purification option because in the long run it's cheaper and more environmentally friendly than buying bottled (and just smarter for keeping yourself healthy if you're out and about). Protein bars are my preference because being a vegetarian is not easy in all parts of the world - definitely not required! As for clothes which are appropriate for wearing over in your placement, I guess you *could* wear a tank top and short shorts but... I would be a bad director if I sent you in thinking that... don't you think? ;)
    Hopefully that puts your mind at ease a little or at least shortens your to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that there would be extra costs and I don't mean to complain about them but they seem so much more real now that I have to go purchase them. I do agree with your suggestions and am thankful for having a list of things that we will need in order to be comfortable over there. In years to come I know that I will not remember the costs, but the experience. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I L'ed OL when I read the "Air Miles" bit. Seriously. Laughed. Out loud.
    Lots of insight with this entry...I have to say I've had a similar experience with what I have been able to manage and organize...watching myself accomplish and juggle so much is really energizing and I get the sense that you're having a similar experience there. I think part of the reason we're able to accomplish so much is that we're really engrossed in this experience and we WANT to do it all. It gives me a desire to be organized and manage my time well in a way I never did before.
    And yes the costs...they are considerable. I think I'm gonna get the rabies shots and according to Krista that will put my arm out of commission for 3 days of PAIN...and I get to do that 3 times.

    ReplyDelete