Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Please Take Your Elbows off the Table.

Society has a specific set of rules that expects everyone to follow. Don’t put your elbows on the table, don’t pick at your teeth when you are sitting at the dinner table, don’t speak loudly in a library, during a lecture with 300 students do not ask questions, etc. There are all of these strange systems and rules that we all are supposed to know about and to follow. Does everyone know every little rule? Of course not. We may have opposing viewpoints of how to act in a certain situation or someone may just be unaware. On a general scale though, everyone know how they are supposed to behave when we are in public. We are taught lovingly by our parents when we are children to follow these rules of society. We cannot, however know every single rule for every single culture in every single situation. The world has six billion people in it (approximately). That number is so large that we cannot even comprehend what that would look like. With all of that said and done we are all very different and we have different ways to interact with different people. I have started to take the leadership workshops to try to discover more about myself and on the way I have discovered this class. The point was further made when I was at the library today. I was on the 7th floor of the Dana Porter library and I was trying to finish up some last minute studying. While I was studying there were these guys who were making so much noise. I may seem like an evil dictator but, I hate hearing people talking and laughing a lot when I am trying to study. It annoys me to no end. I was sitting at my desk thinking to myself “don’t these guys know that you aren’t supposed to make this much noise in a library?” This led to me start thinking more about rules in society (somewhat my own take on a subject that Cat has already discussed). We are about to embark on a journey to another country.
This makes me wonder what the rules are in Uganda. I wonder how many times I am going to be going to give a handshake and that may be the wrong thing to do, effectively disrespecting whoever I offered my hand to. I like to think that I can be ready to encounter all different cultures from all different walks of life; I mean I live in Canada! We have so many people come to our country from many other different countries. I like to think that I have mastered the awkward greeting. Although, I have always been the one who was born in Canada while the other person had just moved or they are visiting. It must be much more embarrassing for the other person. I am already established in my home and I know that I do not get offended that easily. This means that I will not be the master of the awkward social etiquette in another country. I won’t know when it is polite to slurp and burp when I eat or when I should be quiet. I will possibly be tripping over my own feet, trying to walk around. I think this may be one of the most frustrating challenges that I will encounter. I am not a person who likes to be at any disadvantage. I like to know what I am doing and I do not like to draw more attention to myself than is needed. I will have to learn patience when I am in Uganda. I will need to know patience to learn the ways of the world from the Ugandan perspective and hope that people will understand that I am still fumbling along trying to learn. I would not like to offend anyone when I am staying there.
Now to turn to news about volunteering! I have yet to start volunteering (ahhh! I should get on that!). I do not know, still, where I want to volunteer. Nothing sounds like it is something I would be really excited to do. I guess I will have to jump in and see if I like something. I am no stranger to volunteering but most of it has been with the fortunate crowd. For example, I helped to set up a biking marathon, or I help exchange students find their way around Canada. I have never worked with either a) children or b) people living below the poverty line. Anyone who reads this blog: do you volunteer? If so, where? I could use some ideas. I want to start volunteering soon!

2 comments:

  1. what you say is very true - I have no idea if the way I talk, walk, eat, think, do - will offend anyone in Uganda. But I think thats part of the whole experience, right? We might make some mistakes, disrespect a few people - but we'll learn. Joanne always says, if you're not uncomfortable or frustrated, you're not learning anything! so embrace the discomfort, and dive into the unknown. As long as you don't make some gesture indicating "death" in Uganda, I think you will be fine! haha

    about volunteering - I know you say you've never worked with a "disadvantaged" population - but I think thats the point of this whole experience. Although you're not used to it, you need to jump on those volunteer postions that will push you way beyond your comfort zone. why? because thats how you grow! that's how your perspectives change, and these opportunities can help you become a more knowledgeable person. Don't think of it as how you can help them - think about how they can help YOU. Don't worry about not knowing how to act in these different situations - you'll learn, trust me. AND jumping into something you're not used to, will be VERY GOOD practice for you're upcoming summer abroad. Check these out:

    www.volunteerkw.ca
    www.lutherwood.ca
    www.kwa.on.ca (I used to work there, but they're usually looking for volunteers)
    www.wpirg.org/action-groups/food-not-bombs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacquelyn, try to go for a tour of The Working Centre http://www.theworkingcentre.org/ They have so many amazing programs going on you're sure to find something you love. But do it SOON ok? :)

    ReplyDelete